Here’s another recipe from the Mindful Eating Cookbook by Miraval’s culinary team led by Executive Chef Justin Macy. Enjoy!
Makes 6 cups; Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- 2 Tbsp. Miraval Oil Blend (page 19) or vegetable oil
- 1 c. chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 c. chopped celery
- 1/4 c. chopped garlic
- 1 c. chopped pablano pepper
- 1 lb. lean boneless pork loin, cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 1 1/2 c. chopped fresh tomatillo, or canned
- 1 c. canned hominy, rinsed well and drained
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 6 c. Chicken Stock (page 20) or canned low-sodium, nonfat chicken broth
- 1/4 c. thinly sliced red cabbage, garnish
- 3 tsp. crumbled Cotija, feta, or Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- 1 1/2 tsp. finely grated fresh lime zest, for garnish
HEAT a large saucepan over high heat. Add 1 Tbsp. of the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of pan. Lower the heat to medium-high, add the onions, and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the celery, stir, and cook for 45 seconds. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 45 seconds. Add the pepper and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
ADD the remaining 1 Tbsp. of oil and stir well. Add the pork and cook, stirring to sear on all sides, about 3 minutes.
Add the tomatillo, hominy, 2 Tbsp. of the cilantro, the chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock, stirring to scrap any bits from the bottom of the pan. Increase the heat and bring to a high simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until meat is tender and cooked through, 40 minutes.
REMOVE from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp. cilantro. Divide the stew among 12 serving bowls (half cup per serving). Garnish each portion with 1 tsp. of the cabbage, 1/4 tsp. of the cheese, and 1/8 tsp. of the lime zest; and serve immediately.
Calories: 190; Total Fat: 5 G; Carbohydrate: 27 G; Dietary Fiber: 7 G; Protein: 13 G