By: Kim Kelder, Lead Aesthetician and Skincare Specialist
• Winter is a great time to start a peel series. Peels are a deeper exfoliation that penetrates deeper and is longer lasting then a scrub that you would use at home. You can get peels at your local esthetician or doctor’s office, depending on the strength you are looking for. Make sure you talk it over with your dermatologist or esthetician to discuss what peel would be best for you. At Miraval’s Life in Balance Spa, we offer an amazing Alpha Beta Professional Face Peel.
• Use an eye cream daily. Eye creams are very important, especially in the winter when the skin has a tendency to be drier. The eye area is 4 times thinner than the skin on our face, which is why that is where we see the first signs of aging.I would recommend the Clarins Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate, it uses a plant extract to diminish puffiness and tighten around the eye.
• Change your cleanser to cream or milk cleanser. Cleansing gels and bars can sometimes be drying for your winter skin. Also make sure you are washing with cooler water, hot water can also be drying for your skin. The Cleansing Milk with Alpine Herbs from Clarins is very gentle and helps maintain the perfect moisture balance in your skin.
• Wear sunscreen! Just because the sun isn’t shining all the time doesn’t mean you aren’t getting sun damage. Did you know that 78% of solar damage is from incidental sun exposure, like walking to and from your car each day? Clarins Multi-Protection Sunscreen is one of our best-sellers at Miraval, it’s powerful with SPF 40 but still goes on sheer.
• Add a hydrating mask weekly. Hydration masks do not replace the need to moisturize daily but still offer a lot of benefits. Think of it as giving your skin a drink of water, it helps to plump up your skin cells. A hydrating mask will help stimulate skin’s natural moisturizing factor while helping to restore skin’s protective barrier, increasing moisture levels for healthier, smoother skin. EmerginC has a great Vitamin C + Retinol Mask that leaves your skin glowing.
• Hydration is key, never go without a moisturizer on your face. There always needs to be a barrier on your skin to protect against the elements. Make sure you use creams or and oils to hydrate your skin. The Blue Orchid Face Treatment Oil from Clarins works very well to prevent moisture loss and the formation of fine lines.
• Add serums into your skin care regimen. Certain serums have correcting elements to them like anti-aging, lightening and brightening. Serums have a smaller molecule and penetrate deeper to correct the skin. Moisturizers are meant to sit on the skin to protect, while serums will penetrate to correct. Clarins Double Serum, which has become extremely popular, works to firm your skin and reduce wrinkles.
More about Kim Kelder
Kimberly Kelder is Miraval Resort & Spa’s Lead Aesthetician and Skin Care Specialist with over 18 years of experience—13 of those years at Miraval. After receiving her first facial, she was mesmerized by the way her skin felt and looked. Kim quickly realized that she wanted to learn how to make other people feel as transformed as she did. She studied at Allure College of Beauty in Tucson, Arizona specializing in Aesthetics.
Kim gives a weekly skincare lecture at Miraval and educates guests on how to properly care for their skin and how to make skin care a realistic priority in their lives. Kim is most passionate about teaching guests how to have healthy skin in a holistic setting. With so many products and treatments on the market, guests are often confused and overwhelmed. Kim teaches guests how to make the best choice for their skin at any age and during any season. She customizes her skin care recommendations and regimen to suit the guest’s individual lifestyle and demands, to maximize and maintain healthy skin.