Nothing beats the chilly months like a warm bowl of homemade soup. Our Vegetarian Black Bean Soup is hearty, satisfying, and a Miraval staple. The peppers, cumin, and cayenne team up to provide a kick of flavor; and the dish is easy to make and full of plant protein and fiber. Enjoy!
Vegetarian Black Bean Soup
Yield: About 1 Qt.; Makes 8 Servings; Serving Size: 1/2 Cup
- 3/4 c. raw black beans, cleaned and sorted
- 2 tsp. Miraval Oil Blend (3:1 mix of canola oil and extra-virgin olive oil)
- 1/2 c. yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic, chopped fine
- 1/4 c. red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 c. Anaheim or poblano chili, diced
- 1/2 Tbsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, rinsed and chopped
- 1 qt. plus 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp., dry sherry wine
- 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
SOAK beans overnight, covering with enough water to keep all beans completely soaked. Then drain beans and discard soaking liquid.
PREHEAT a large heavy-duty pot; add Miraval Oil Blend.
SAUTÉ onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and Anaheim or poblano chili until onions begin to become translucent. Stir in cumin, oregano, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, cayenne, parsley, and cilantro. Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook uncovered until beans are tender and soup is reduced by about half, about 45 minutes.
ADD sherry, brown sugar, and lemon juice to the soup. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Discard bay leaf. Adjust seasoning if needed.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Top with a teaspoon of sour cream or plain yogurt, sliced jalapeños, and cumin-scented tortilla strips. To make tortilla strips, cut three corn tortillas into thin 1/2-inch strips. Place in a mixing bowl, spray lightly with 1/2 tsp. oil, and toss in a pinch of ground cumin an dkosher salt. Lay out on a cookie sheet, and bake at 400ºF until crisp and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Calories: 128; Total Fat: 3 G; Carbohydrate: 21 G; Dietary Fiber: 7 G; Protein: 5 G