Enjoy this delicious Pistachio Biscotti recipe that makes the perfect after dinner snack.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup evaporated raw cane sugar plus 1/2 tbsp. for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tbsp. apple juice
- 4 large egg whites, divided
1. Sift the flour with the backing powder, and put it in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add 1/3 cup sugar and bread crumbs, and combine using a paddle attachment on medium speed. Mix in the nuts. Whisk together the extracts, juice and 3 egg whites. Gradually add the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix for 1 minute.
2. Shape dough into a 12-inch-long rope, and place it on a lightly greased baking sheet. Lightly beat remaining egg white; brush it on the top of the loaf, and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Let the biscotti sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
3. Cut the dough on the bias into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees until cookies are golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Cool cookies on wire rack.
Makes: 24 biscotti
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 2 hours, 10 minutes