Why not pair two favorites, red wine and dark chocolate, for the perfect tasty treat? The dark chocolate (go for at least 70 percent cacao) has a great deal of of healthful flavonols and the wine contains reversatrol—a serious antioxidant, giving you a wide range of health-boosting phytonutrients when you enjoy them together, says Angela Onsgard, R.D.N., Nutritionist at Miraval Arizona Resort & Spa. These delicious cookies merge the two beautifully, with double the richness and double the antioxidants.
Red Wine–Chocolate Cookies
Makes: 40 cookies
Active time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, honey, egg white, 3/4 cup sugar, and 2 tablespoons red wine until smooth (save the rest of the sugar and wine for step 4). Add to dry mixture and stir until the dough comes together. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Place 1-1/2-teaspoon rounds of dough, 2 inches apart, onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake until set and dry on top, about 10 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1 cup wine to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Cook until syrupy and reduced, about 7 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until fluffy and smooth. Slowly stream in the wine syrup until incorporated and smooth, scraping the bowl as needed. Transfer frosting to a resealable plastic bag or a piping bag fitted with a tip, then pipe frosting on top of cookies.
Nutrition facts per cookie: 86 calories, 5g fat (2.2g saturated), 10g carbs, 1g protein, 1g fiber, 33mg sodium