Flavor your favorite tequila with citrus and cilantro and make this Miraval margarita recipe your own!
You will need the following:
- Local Citrus: Oranges, Tangerines, Pomelos, or Grapefruit are all great choices
- Your Favorite Tequila: Reposado or Anejo
- 2 Limes
- ½ Cup of Simple Syrup: Equal Parts Raw Local Honey & Water (Mix together until honey dissolves)
- 1 oz Cilantro
- Cocktail Shaker and Muddler
Peel citrus and save all citrus scraps and rind – we are going to use that to infuse the tequila. In a large container, add the tequila and combine all of your citrus scraps, juice and peels and let that steep. You can start this in the morning if you are eating citrus for breakfast to steep all day and get the maximum flavor to infuse. Dice the rest of citrus and save for the cocktail. Cut limes in half and juice them. Don’t forget to save the rest of the lime to add to your infusion!
In your cocktail shaker add the following for 1 drink:
- 2 Oz Citrus
- 2 sprigs of Cilantro
Muddle these items in cocktail shaker until you can smell the natural oils and juices release. You want to breakdown and bruise the herb enough to be fragrant.
- 1.5 Oz Tequila (strain before using to separate)
- 1.5 Oz Honey Simple Syrup
- 1 Oz Lime Juice
Add ice to the top of the shaker, put the lid on and shake it.
Pour into your favorite Mason jar or cocktail glass and serve immediately over ice or shaved ice. Garnish with any leftover citrus peels and cilantro springs you have.