Dreaming of a weekend getaway to Miraval, but have already planned your summer vacation or can’t take off from work right now? Even if you aren’t able to jet off to Tucson any time soon, you can still reap some of the amazing benefits of a wellness retreat – simply by recreating the magic of Miraval in the comfort of your own home! Here are 10 tips for turning your humble abode into a staycation oasis.
- Start your morning on a positive note with half an hour of meditation. Press play on MaryGrace Naughton’s meditation CD, sit down on a silk cushion, and breathe deeply. Induce complete relaxation with a Tibetan singing bowl and allow its wonderful healing sounds to wash over you, restoring harmony to your body, mind, and soul.
- Set some mood lighting. Do the fluorescent bulbs shining down on you suddenly seem way too bright? Turn them off and opt for sage & pomegrante-scented candles instead. You’d be surprised at how calming the warm glow of a flickering flame can be.
- Don’t fight the zzz’s! Put yourself – and your phone — to bed. After catching up on emails and sending off any final reports/presentations to your team, set up an out-of-office reply and immediately close your laptop and tuck away your phone to begin your digital detox. Sure, the thought of all those potential social media notifications may seem tempting at first; but without the constant exposure to blue light, you’ll find it much easier to drift off into a sweet slumber. (Pro tip: Throw in a couple of plush pillows for a more restful sleep!)
- It’s all about ambience.You’ll be hard-pressed to find a backdrop as spectacular as the Santa Catalina mountains. However, you can still establish a serene atmosphere by drawing inspiration from the Sonoran Desert. Whether it’s placing a copy of Mindful Living on your coffee table, sprucing up your windowsill with a succulent garden, or hanging these delightful Ben Bell’s cactus ornaments on a few doorknobs, incorporating elements that remind you of Miraval and its beautiful surroundings will make your staycation feel extra special.
- Keep it casual. Set a “no dress code” policy, then strictly enforce it by lounging around in the comfiest robe you can get find! If you can dine in one at Miraval, you can certainly do so in your living room.
- Add fresh air and Vitamin D to the mix. Explore a new fitness studio. Take a dance class. Go for a run around your neighborhood. Or better yet, grab a girlfriend and go on a morning hike at a local park! (Bonus points if it includes an uphill climb.)
- Get creative in the kitchen. You don’t have to whip up a 5-course meal or spend hours sweating over a hot stove. Just challenge yourself with this: 1. to test out a new recipe (Sweet and Savory Cooking is full of delicious culinary options) and 2. figure out ways to eliminate potential food waste. (Hint: If you want to put a tasty spin on leftovers, you can use vegetable rinds and stalks to concoct a soup packed with flavor.)
- Enjoy yoga outdoors. When the sun begins to set, head outside and roll out an exercise mat in your backyard, rooftop, or balcony. As you move through a sequence of asanas, set your intentions and focus your breath, slowly tuning out any unnecessary distractions. Oh, and here’s the best part: Gazing up at the stars, just like you would during one of Miraval’s Celestial Yoga offerings! By the time you melt into shavasana, the sky will be studded with them.
- A little aromatherapy works wonders… Dim the lights, draw yourself a warm bath (complete with essential calming oils such as rose or lavender, of course), and sink right in. And if a long soak isn’t exactly your favorite way to unwind? No worries. Simply spritz this lemongrass-infused eucalyptus oil to turn your bathroom into a spa sanctuary! Then lather on up and allow the steady stream of water from the showerhead to gently massage your aching muscles.
- Pamper yourself! Apply a nourishing face mask, brew a cup of prickly pear tea, and plop down on the sofa to flip through some magazines or crack open a juicy page-turner. If you’re feeling fancy, treat yourself to a luxurious manicure using a bottle of Deborah Lippmann’s ‘Brand New Day’ polish. (The dreamy beige creme color was inspired by the Sonoran Desert sky, so you’ll definitely be on theme here.) As for those of you who want to kick your self-care routine up a notch and don’t mind shelling out some extra bucks? Book an at-home visit with a massage therapist. Yes, it’s a splurge – but well worth it!
Now we want to hear from you. Drop us a comment below telling us your main staycation must-haves!