Miraval’s Mindful Grocery Cart
At Miraval we believe that food should be pleasing to the palate and nourishing to the body, while being in harmony with the environment. We emphasize whole foods, prepared thoughtfully and enjoyed mindfully.
But you’re not at Miraval right now, and we understand that finding whole foods when the grocery store is packed and spending time to prepare gourmet meals and enjoy them mindfully might be the lowest thing on your priority list.
We’re here to help. Here are a few picks from Miraval’s nutritionists for healthy pantry staples that you can pick up at the supermarket and use in a wide variety of simple recipes. Bon appetit!
Oats: Oats are among the healthiest grains on earth. They’re gluten-free and a great source of important vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Oats also contain more protein and fat than most grains. Importantly, oats are a great source of beta-glucan fiber, which is effective at reducing cholesterol. You just need half a cup of rolled oats for a delicious, nutritious and filling breakfast!
Lentils: Lentils are low in calories and are an excellent source of protein. They also contain calcium, iron, potassium and folate. When combined with a whole grain, lentils can give you the same quality of protein as meat. But when you eat lentils instead of red meat, you’re making a much healthier choice for your heart.
¼ cup small fennel bulb, diced
¼ cup small yellow onion, diced
¼ cup small carrot, diced
1 T garlic, minced
1 tsp fennel seed (optional)
½ cup dry lentils
1 cup veggie stock (or broth)
1 cup tomato sauce
1. Start by par cooking the lentils – in a sauce pot bring vegetable stock and lentils to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook
2. In a larger shallow pan sauté fennel and carrots with a splash of extra virgin olive oil. Cook 5 minutes
3. Add onions, red bell peppers, garlic, and fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper. Cook another 5 minutes
4. Once lentils are cooked, strain the liquid and add lentils to vegetables.
5. Pour in the tomato sauce and stir all together. Let simmer for 2 hours to bring all of the flavors together and thicken.
6. Serve over your favorite pasta, zoodles or spaghetti squash
MIRAVAL’S OVERNIGHT OATS
Milk or Dairy-Free Milk
Coconut flakes or shredded
Or whatever you have in your pantry!
Mix together all dry ingredients are in a large bowl (able to be covered and refrigerated)
Cover completely with milk about 1 inch above the dry ingredients
Cover and refrigerate overnight or for 8 hours minimum.
*This recipe is entirely customizable based on your appetite and likes/dislikes, so have fun!