When guests come to Miraval they are required to unplug from all digital devices, including cellphones, laptops, and tablets so that they can focus on living in the present moment and be more aware of their surroundings.
As you prepare for Miraval Mode (the state of consciously unplugging from devices and becoming more digitally mindful), we have a few tips that will help you unplug, and be present. These practices can be used when you are planning a trip to any destination or simply enjoying a stay-cation with friends, family, or just yourself.
MINDFUL TIPS TO HELP YOU UNPLUG
• Turn on your “out of office” message for both personal and work email. We’ve made it easy and crafted a message for you. Simply copy and paste.
“I am creating a life in balance from xx – xx. Access to all digital devices will be intentionally limited. In case of an emergency, please call the front desk at xxx.xxx.xxx to contact me. Thank you for being mindful and respecting my desire to prioritize my mental wellbeing.”
• Put your phone on “Airplane Mode” to prevent any notifications, incoming calls, or alerts from disrupting you and other guests. We suggest turning off all notifications permanently from your cell phone apps to establish better control of your devices.
• Go analog – for the moments when you are waiting for a friend, sitting at a cafe, taking a break, consider analog options rather than scrolling through a digital device. Start carrying your favorite book, a journal, the latest bestseller, a collection of poems, or a bundle of magazines.
• Wear an analog watch and buy a travel alarm clock. When you use your phone as a watch or alarm clock, you are more likely to get distracted by what your screen has to offer versus simply telling the time. This in turn will take you out of the present moment and disconnect you from your current environment or whomever you are talking to.
• Change your screen backdrops to display mindful reminders. We created custom lock screens for your digital devices as a reminder to “Live in the Moment”. Remember that you control your intentions, don’t let your phone control them. Click here to download.
Creating life in balance begins with being fully present and engaged at the moment. To learn more about digital mindfulness, visit our website here.